Sunday, October 25, 2015

I rested.

I needed it.

I read  more than the minimum number of minimalist blogs and by all their accounts I am overloaded. But in this season of my life, I've nothing left to really give up.

I *could* pull the kids from extra-curricular activities, but I don't want to. I think they benefit from them.

I need my job.

Kids and work take up the bulk of my time.

I need to exercise and I know myself well enough to know that if I don't do it before work, it probably won't get done. So my days start at the UnGodly hour of 5:15 am. Speaking of God, I need Him (or Her if you prefer) to keep me going.

So these things are non-negotiable BUT with the proper renewal, I can do it. It all slows down demonstrably in mid-November, I just need to hold on until then.

This weekend of as close to nothing I could muster without hemming myself up for the week showed me what proper rest can do for mind, body and soul.

I planned to take it easy this weekend before the news came that Houston was headed for a serious and continuous downpour courtesty of Hurricane Patricia remnants. The rain made it easier to hang out at home.  On Saturday, I cleaned my closet, pruning clothes I don't love. I scrubbed my bathroom and cleaned my room. I laid in bed and watched a movie. I let the kids play in my hair. I wanted to read but didn't, and I forgave myself for that.

We could have gone to church today, but we didn't. I made breakfast and we ate it on the back patio while the rain beat against and trickled down the side of the roof. We then got back into bed afterwards. First me and the husband. We were then joined by one kid, then another. Then no kids and then three kids and then none. I snuggled against him while he watched football and I felt rested. And peaceful. And joyful.

And renewed.

Tomorrow is a run day. The rain is supposed to have cleared. It will be chilly. I have good nourishing food to eat for the week.

I am grateful for the rain. I am grateful for my family. I am grateful for another shot at getting it right.

No comments:

Post a Comment